Resilience Indicators for Food:
- Number of allotments/ food growing areas
- Number of local farm shops/ farmers markets
- Number of community farms/ city farms
- Food miles
- Organic vs Food miles
- Local history of food production
- X tonnes of fish caught locally vs sold locally
- Fife diet and Edinburgh diet – regional measurement of food resilience
Resilience Indicators for Energy:
- Energy use patterns – heating fuel mix – where it is bought
- Total electricity bills of the region
- Waste reduction/ increased recycling
- Building local knowledge and learning
- Community energy = community learning
- Energy features in Food; Homes; Transport; “Stuff”
Resilience Indicators for Culture: Cultural and social capital:
- How many resident artists/ musicians/ creative people
- How many live venues locally
- How many celebration events – (eg barn dances, shared meals)
- How many children are involved
Resilience Indicators for Transport:
- Bike racks, cycle lanes – how well used; influencing local council
- Kids and bikes
- Travel audits – first internal to group; then share learnings and advice with community and other groups
We can plan to measure resilience at different scales: eg:
- Transition group
- Wider community
- Impact on council
- Imagine the area as an island cut off from electricity and services – what would happen (before and after Transition)?
- Study emergency situations, eg Japan.
- Model resilience through an exercise.
What metrics would we want to get feedback on in Inner Transition?
Various themes seemed to congregate around:
- Measuring Impact – individual and group
- Measuring Process – Group
- Measuring Wellbeing – individual and group
Measuring Impact – individual and group
- Timeline collage of anything that’s mattered to you – measures feeling of group
- How many times are you touched by your impact? (example given about a little girl who was proud of her
- new skill of growing a basil plant)
- How effective people feel they are; how confident (Focus groups or survey)
- Capturing positive stories of impact
- Collecting media coverage, quotes, testimonials, pictures of people (smiling) at Transition events
Measuring Process – Group
- Levels of encouragement in Transition group; levels of criticism in Transition group (Feedback and learning to change behaviour)
- How well are we using and developing people’s strengths and skills?
- Leadership style – is it inclusive and diverse?
- Leadership and responsibility for change
- How much celebration in meetings?
- How much power is shared (power mapping of group)?
- Levels of conflict in the group
- How comfortable are you with conflict?
- How many workshops on conflict have you run?
Measuring Wellbeing – individual
- Celebration Time; Community Time; Time Out
- Allow Time Out – Duvet days; obligatory holidays; resting the group
- How much time is dedicated to ourselves
- How much do I feel listened to?
- How much do I feel valued and respected?
- How supported are you? (well equipped? Burnout or dropout rate)
- Levels of sickness
- Only doing what you want to do
- Letting go (by leaders?)
Measuring Wellbeing – group
- Do you know your neighbours?
- How happy are people (survey?)
- Community connectedness
What metrics would we want to get feedback on in Business and Livelihoods?
|What to measure||How to measure|
|New businesses created and number of people involved||Chambers of commerce, artisan guilds, social enterprise networks, companies house|
|Changing focus of existing businesses||Resilience; carbon emissions reduction. (NB. Businesses listen to the advice of other businesses). Transition certification?|
|Number of people employed within the Transition movement|
|Livelihood skills||Reskilling workshops|
|Ratio of local work to commuting|
|Wider businesses, councils, groups engaging with resilience, peak oil, creative solutions||Transition Walks around neighbourhoods celebrating resilient enterprises, knowing|
|Health and wellbeing aspects of business and livelihoods||New Economics Foundation have data on happiness indicators. Other indices to explore|
|Creativity and inventiveness among people|
|Equality of fair distribution of work and income||Number in and out of employment. Are we willing to share the loss in wealth and jobs?|
|Money circulating locally||Local currencies, local loyalty projects, Lets, Timebank hours|
|Use of local resources, products and services|
|Age-‐spread of engaged livelihood|
|Collating and sharing sources of existing data ␣ put links on Transition Network website. Local authorities measure lots of indicators|