Thank you very much to those who filled in our suvey about the most useful terms with which to describe the ‘goals’ that a community project might have. The results were very clear, very useful, and we have acted upon them.
The results in a graph
First of all, here’s a handy graph showing which terms were considered the most useful (range from most to least useful, left to right):
(Graph of terms ‘usefulness’)
The terms we are going to proceed with
Some of the terms are already bundled up in our ‘themes’, and some we felt overlapped nicely, and could be broken down further in the future. Some of them would need a deeper consultation, and possibly entire new ‘Content Types’ for our directories (e.g. do we need a new directory for Enterprises?).
So we are proceeding with these terms:
- Energy efficiency and renewables
- Awareness raising
- Building community resilience and wellbeing
- Supporting new community assets and enterprises
- Behaviour change
Feedback in full
Here are the comments verbatim:
- finance and funding, structural interventions, systemic change,
- Economy’ is not a goal (nor is Environment). How about Build new local economy or New economics instead? We need to be able differentiate which are new trading enterprises and which are not – I don’t think a Tresoc for example is a project, it’s a new enterprise. But local REconomy Project, which aims to help new enterpruses to emerge, is a project. I can imagine a widget that’s an enterprise widget that shows which Transition Enterprises are in your area, but that’s a whole different ball game? For now, I’d suggest that people do not add their enterprises here unless you have some way of clearly differentiating them as such. Would prefer ‘Supporting new enterprises’ not ‘Creating new enterprises’ they are different things – for projects, they willl be supporting not creating? Awareness raising and eduction are different I think – the former being more about outreach? I’d split these. How about adding one for ‘Get more people involved in Transition’ aka outreach Also add ‘Build social cohesion’
- Well-Being in the Community Social Cohesion/Inclusion (Re)connection with Nature/Living Systems
- local food production low carbon travel think you could merge the first two ‘awareness raising and behaviour change’ – they are so very linked think creating new enterprises and community asset development could be merged to ‘develop/create new enterprises and community assets’
- Presumably transport comes in under carbon reduction?
- Reducing consumption, mental/physical health, green spaces, local skills development, communication/campaigning
- Finance or funding. Food, transport and waste seem to be common groups so would be useful project headings. i thought ‘environment’ too broad but could be left in a catch all same for community resilience. I’m not a fan of “creating new enterprise” or “promoting renewable energy” or “increased equality” or Increasing community resilience” i think they could be simply “enterprises” and “renewable energy” etc…
- I’d need to give it some thought… I think a few of the above could be finessed a little too and, though I know that’s what you’re doing, I’ll see if I can feel inspired on the train this evening… So for example Happiness is a desirable outcome for all our projects – but is it a useful category?