Starting tomorrow here at TransitionNetwork.org and running until the end of the month, we’ll be posting our Austerity Basics. We will hopefully be asking the questions you always wondered about austerity, and giving you some succinct answers. We’ll be asking James Meadway, Senior Economist at New Economics Foundation the following:
- What is austerity?
- Where did the idea come from?
- Is the UK’s debt really historically unprecedented?
- What are the dangers of trying to pay our national debt off too fast?
- Can austerity ever be said to have worked anywhere?
- Why is the flight of jobs to the private sector a problem?
- What will ‘permanent austerity’ look like in practice?
- Who benefits from austerity?
- Is there an alternative, and if so, what is it?
We’ll post one a day. So you could think of it as a kind of austerity advent calendar, with one to open every morning (very seasonal). We hope you’ll enjoy them, and take it as the opportunity to debate some of James’ answers.