How do we embrace potential ‘failure’, stay open to not-knowing the outcome and continue to work with intention? What does success or failure mean for me, my group, my community and for the Transition Movement? Workshop notes from Ed Mitchell.
- Failure is not learning from our mistakes
- Mix of Personal stuff and Group dynamics
- Mix of Inner and Outer processes
- Success and Failure are not direct antonyms!
- Our definition of a problem can lead us to one linear path to a ‘solution’ – and the problem may have changed while we’re on that path
- We can be idealistic about how things could/should be. We are very unlikely to ever reach our ideal goals! Therefore we can easily set ourselves unachievable goals, guaranteeing ‘failure’
- How we frame ‘success’ defines what failure is – if we do our best and accept that all things change, we can’t ‘fail’.
- Success can be seen as being flexible in the face of dynamic circumstances; navigating complexity with wisdom and grace. The outcome itself, isn’t really about failure or success.