An invitation to take part in “A little patch of ground”
By Ben Brangwyn 7th April 2011
Call for Participants
Encounters Arts are looking for people to take part in one of two free Food Growing and Live Performance projects ‘A Little Patch of Ground’ that will take place at two locations with from May – September 2011.
- Artsadmin at Toynbee Studios, London
- Dartington Estate near Totnes, Devon UK
Pioneering participatory arts group Encounters have created this project that will bring together a group of people of all ages who live/work in either:
- the area around Aldgate East/Commercial Street/Petticoat Lane/Brick Lane
- South Hams area of Devon
to explore, unearth and tell stories of the relationships people have with where they live and with the wider natural world around them.
Samples of soil, plant life and food as well as personal stories, images, ideas and experiences will be drawn together and cross-fertilised through photography and film, writing and drama, collecting, cooking and planting during the project. The resulting performance and exhibition will be:
- London – premiered at Toynbee Studios on City Road
- Devon – premiered at Dartington and toured to local community venues
They’re looking for 20 people to take part from 8 – 80 years old. You could come on your own, with your family or with a friend.
- London – Toynbee Studios: A weekly session every Tuesday from 5.30pm – 8.30pm starting on 3 May until the end of September 2011
- Devon, Dartington Estate : A weekly session every Thursday from 5.30pm – 8.30pm starting on Thursday 5 May until the end of September 2011
What we’ll do: Each week we’ll meet, learn how to grow vegetables, have a meal together and share stories and experiences
Transport: We can help with travel if you have mobility or financial difficulties
The Performance: We will perform the piece we create at the end of September 2011
The twinning: The projects in London and Devon will take a trip to see each other’s performance at the end of the project
Some history and background information: A Little Patch of Ground has taken place in Liverpool and Doncaster in previous years – take a look at their flyer here. Find out more about Encounters Arts.
To find out more and apply to participate
- London – Toynbee Studios: Call Nicky/Cat 020 7247 5102 or email email@example.com or call in at the Artsadmin reception at Toynbee Studios, 28 Commercial Street London E1 6AB
- Devon, Dartington Estate: Call Ruth on 07870 698333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org