Find land or buildings for community enterprises
By Ben Brangwyn 4th February 2011
Finding buildings and land where we can set up community enterprises
We were recently alerted to a new service “The Place Station“, which appears to fill in a huge gap in our aspirations to identify land and buildings suitable for socially beneficial purposes.
This service is a bit like a dating agency that enables enlightened owners of land and buildings to meet up with social and community entrepreneurs who can do something really useful with that asset.
The Place Station provides a space where people can:
- search for land and buildings
- add a Place they’d like to see owned and managed by the community
- add an Idea for transforming local services
- propose new uses for available land and buildings
- comment on and offer to support an Idea or Proposal for a Place
- find pro-bono supporters where they live to put their Ideas and Proposals into practice
It’ll be a bit of time before the database is populated with “places” – and that’s where you can help.
- Go here: www.theplacestation.org.uk/login to sign up
- then to: www.theplacestation.org.uk/place.new to add a place that you think might be suitable
- And if you’ve got a good idea for a social enterprise that would need some land or building, add it here: www.theplacestation.org.uk/idea.new and maybe you’ll find a match. Kind of like www.harmony.com without the violins.
Find out more here: www.theplacestation.org.uk/view/about