“Rob Hopkins has done more to change the way that we live in the past 10 years than any one else in Britain. because he has given people the tools create change for themselves. It is beautifully simple and incredibly powerful.”
Monty Don, gardener, writer and broadcaster
It’s been a while in the gestating, but Rob Hopkins’ new book The Power of Just Doing Stuff: how local action can change the world is here. Rather than being about how to do Transition, it focuses on why doing Transition is thrilling and the sense of power and possibility it can bring about. Illustrated with stories from around the world, it really captures how international Transition has become, the impact it is starting to have, and how, in the current economic malaise, it represents a bold new idea for our economic future. So here is everything you need to know about what’s happening over the next couple of weeks to accompany its arrival:
- We’ve made a great 2 minute promotional video. It was produced by Emma Goude who produced In Transition 1.0 & In Transition 2.0
- You can pre-order the book and find all manner of great stuff about it all gathered in one place
- Rob will also be doing some ‘audio book’-style readings from the book over the next couple of weeks
- You can see a load of endorsements for the book from a wide range of the great and the good here
- Your first chance to get your hands on a copy will be either at the pre-launch event, the 2013 Schumacher Lectures in Bristol on Saturday June 15th, or the launch itself, at the Grape and Grain in Crystal Palace on Tuesday June 18th. You can read more about these two events here
- On Friday June 14th between 4 and 5pm (BST), Rob Hopkins will be hosting a Twitter Q&A, so save up your questions, and head for Twitter (@robintransition for an hour’s intensive Twitterview. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #DoingStuff
- The launch events will be followed up by 5 Transition Thursdays, which will be as follows:Thursday 27th June: Sheffield, Yorkshire * Thursday 4th July: Downham Market, Swaffham and Kings Lynn, Norfolk * Thursday 11th July: Worthing, Sussex *Thursday 18th July: Louth & Horncastle, Lincolnshire * Thursday 25th July: Slaithwaite, Yorkshire … more information to follow on these …
- There will also be a launch in Totnes on Wednesday 26th June, which will also feature the introduction of the New Lion Brewery, and its first ale, ‘The Power of Just Brewing Stuff’, created to celebrate the launch of the book. More information to follow on that …
We’d really appreciate your help with making sure this new book really has the impact we’d like it to. So, please:
- Put the promotional video on your initiative websites, with this embedded video code:
- If you’re on Twitter, or Facebook (personally, or for your local Transition Initiative, please Tweet or Post the video on Facebook, or the page to buy the book (or both) using these shortened links:
- The promotional video: http://ow.ly/lHtkr
- Buy the book: http://ow.ly/lHusJ
- We want to get the book and Transition trending on Twitter, and you can help us to do this by tagging all your Tweets about the book with #doingstuff
- Why not tell us about the brilliant things your local Transition Initiative is doing? Tweet us @TransitionTowns and don’t forget the hashtag!
- Once you have seen it, and hopefully liked it, write a review of it on the book’s page on Amazon.
Let’s see if we can use this book, and the publicity it generates, to really give Transition and its profile in the world, a big boost!