Transition Network is seeking Lead Developer
By Ed Mitchell 1st April 2014
Transition Network is looking for a lead developer/technical architect to work with the ‘Transition Technologist’ group on our web project. Transition Network is a charity which works to inspire, encourage, connect, support and train communities as they organise around the Transition model.
We are about to launch our ‘Transition Network Version 3’ (TNv3) project. This will include
- migration from Drupal 6 to 7
- introduction of new features
- dramatically simplify and remove others
- update the design and all of the workflows
- review and introduce new website and user metrics
- start a CRM track
- save the world
- and more
It’s a long term project; we aim to launch 3.1 in October 2014, and proceed with other rollouts over the next few years.
We are looking for a UK-based contractor who is looking to take on a fair amount of responsibility, definitely has the time and focus to do this properly, and be around for a while. Working through to October 2014 is the minimum; hopefully you’ll also want to stick around for the later roll-outs.
You can see a list of essentials and desirables below.
If you are interested, please contact Ed the Transition Network Web and Communications manager with your CV, charge out rate, and other suitable information by Monday 14th April.
Ed will be back in touch with you before the end of April at the latest. The ‘Transition Technologist group are meeting on 17th April and hope to discuss our options then.
- Strong developer experience of both Drupal 6 and 7, with a track record of maintaining, updating and providing technical support for established Drupal sites.
- Well acquainted with the Drupal APIs and ecosystem — must have written own modules.
- Understanding of Drupal coding best practices.
- Worked with – and coded for – the usual Drupal biggies: Views, Panels, Features, Rules, Migrate (we’re moving from D6 – D7)
- Must know how to use Drush and Git to a good level.
- Exposure to developing for the CTools APIs and functions, especially plugin system and Panels.
- Strong debugging/problem solving skills.
- Personable, flexible and open minded.
- Good communication skills in a virtual team with mixed skills and experience using online meetings, email, wikis and issue trackers
- Website URL, Drupal profile URL, Real sites you worked on URLs
- Experience of Aegir hosting system, especially Barracuda variant.
- Experience of building distributions and sites using Panopol
- Experience of building sites that can connect to other sites in a federation
- A background in theme building, and using theme() functions.
- Understanding of Linux hosting environments and server tools.
- Use of MySQL databases, and query building.
- An understanding of when a new module is needed, vs configuration changes, vs coding.
- TNv3 wiki pages
- Transition Network web strategy
- Transition Technologist group wiki
- Transition Network website